These challenges will be addressed in 16 pilot areas, to develop and test solutions for managing uppermost 20-30 m of the subsurface. This will lead to a strong improvement of climate resilience in and across pilot areas, The partnership is strongly commited to bridging science, practice and countries.
The five shared challenges are:
- Groundwater flooding in towns and agricultural areas.
- Saltwater intrusions into freshwater reserves.
- The need for a groundwater buffer to store excess rain water for later use.
- Better management of soil conditions, to strengthen the resilience to extreme rain events and improve water quality.
- An unused capacity to break down nutrients and hazardous pollutants in the uppermost layers.
In the menu to the left, you can read more about the shared challenges.